25 Aug 2014

Planning for Fall

1
There's a definite buzz in the air that is signalling the beginning of a new season. Damp (slightly) darker mornings are giving way to chillier days and blackberries are poking their suggestive juicy heads through the gaps in the picket fence in my garden. It's still bare-leg weather for a while longer but I'm now teaming my pins with last year's black boots as opposed to this summer's fake-nstocks. Slowly but surely, the winter knits are being pulled out and I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one that's beginning to query her autumn wardrobe.

1. The majority of clothes that seem to be singing my name this season appear to be neutral hues of black, navy and grey. When your potential colour palette is this stripped back, you've got to break some rules. I'm envisioning an all black and grey ensemble topped off with a rule-breaking navy fedora. Whoever said these two base tones should never mix clearly had never experienced the subtle pleasure of inky blue felt teamed with slick jet-black leather.

I've developed an obsession with Whistles recently that is only going to lead to either a) disappointment or b) an empty wallet. Worn by all of my Instagram favourites, the 'Feminine' T-shirt will hopefully be creeping into my wardrobe come pay day - although I can only dream of teaming it with the zipped-bib-front pinafore that's been calling my name. Mix in updates of my must-have everyday essential accessories (felt fedora, leather backpack, black boots) and I'm on to a winner.

3

2. I've potentially been browsing the Free People site a little too much recently, but the other side of what the onset of autumn is evoking in me has a slightly boho vibe. I'm picturing a white lace maxi layered with slouchy knitwear and a structured denim jacket, teamed with yet another trilby and sturdy lace-up boots. The boots make this practical for hiking through forests, right?
2

3. Then there's the side of me that takes heed of the new season trends. Burberry's enveloping cashmere cape is the ideal piece to keep me warm in style - especially when layered over autumn's essential basic, the black polo neck. Add a pair of artfully distressed skinnies, sleek ankle boots and minimal fine silver rings and I've got the perfect off-duty outfit (note to self, you will never be able to own the Burberry).
5
4. Take one striped woollen dress, add the aforementioned three everyday essential accessories and throw on a grungy oversized knit for added warmth. The ideal outfit for golden hour after-work strolls. Just add a steaming cup of fresh mint tea at the end of it to warm those hands and add a blush to bitterly cold cheeks. 


Post a Comment